This is a New Year’s Eve post from my Aussie buddy, IRO who can be found at https://imperialrebelork.wordpress.com/2020/12/31/sci-fi-pulp-retro-diorama/ and thought I’d share it. He incorporated one of my creations (my Mark 1 Sphere Tank) into a wonderful retro sci-fi diorama. Very cool, and thank you so much IRO!
Hello all, Well it’s 11:09pm on New Years Eve and I’m typing out a blog haha, I know how to party! I have a nicely aged Scotch beside with some Bob …Sci-Fi/Pulp/Retro Diorama
Back in March of 2017, I learned that the UK-based War Games Supply Dump Miniatures was closing after thirteen years of business. My problem at that time was that I had wanted to get more of their fun-looking retro-sci-fi figures. I had already very much enjoyed painting the Khang Robots I got from WSD for my Warbot platoon that serve as squad leaders in that unit. I had also seen many of WSD’s Dirk Garrison sci-fi line figures on Buck Surdu’s blog. I needed to get some while it was still possible to add to my forces for Combat Patrol™ retro-sci-fi games.
As time was limited (as was Roger’s remaining inventory) I placed a sizable order with Roger for several groups of 28mm scale figures that would be suitable for building platoons – including Khanopians, Valkyrie Space Pirates, and miscellaneous items such as Space Munchkins and my Robo-servo Guns that I posted about here previously. After finishing my Macron unit, I decided that it was time to get some of these languishing WSD projects painted, starting with the Retrovians.
By the way, many of you who follow this blog may recognize Roger as the author of the blog “Rantings from Under the Wargames Table” – a fun blog that unfortunately Roger ended in April of this year (you are indeed missed Roger!).
I was not able to order all of the Retrovian models, but a decent assortment of ones of different poses. I got the following 34 from Roger to build a Retrovian platoon:
- 3 DG-07 “The Bra’sheer” figures/three-legged vehicles
- 1 DG-11 “Garkkon” figure (Retrovian Monster)
- 2 DG-50 “Retrovian Captain w. Sword & Pistol” figures
- 3 DG-54 “Retrovian Trooper Aiming Blaster” figures
- 15 DG-55 “Retrovian Trooper Advancing w. Blaster” figures
- 4 DG-56 “Retrovian Sniper w. Vision Enhancer & Needle Blaster” figures
- 6 DG-56 “Retrovian Two Man Sonic Cannon Team” crew figures (one had a sonic cannon, one had a pair of sci-fi binoculars – 3 of each)
In deciding how to construct the platoon, I needed to consider how to build something that would be useful as a unit – and that would have some sense as to its build. I also have been watching a number of early 2000’s Star Trek “Enterprise” episodes (that I never saw when the series ran). I have become very fond of the Andorians – and Jeffrey Comb’s portrayal of Commander Shran. The Andorians had not been much seen in the Trek universe since the original 1960’s Star Trek. I decided that in homage the Retrovian platoon would be completed as blue skins and with some Andorian names.
As far as structure, I had enough to create three line squads of two teams. There would be 10 figures in a squad: a squad leader, an A team of a team leader and four troopers, a B team of a team leader (the binocular half of the Sonic Cannon team), a Sonic Cannon gunner, a marksman/sniper, and a Bra’sheer Assault Pod. The Bra’sheer I envisioned as having an automatic weapon and mechanical claws that could tear apart obstacles, walls, or enemies’ heads and limbs.
That left me with enough figures to make two other sections. The first is an HQ section (composed of a platoon leader and a platoon sergeant). The second is a Garkkon section (reporting to the platoon sergeant or platoon leader) with a marksman in control of a giant Garkkon monster suitable for melee. The Garkkon is a hybrid of a fish, a lizard, and a giant chicken – it’s quite amusing to look at.
I will share how I assembled and painted the Bra’sheer pods and the Garkkon, then go into the infantry. Then I’ll share some eye candy that I hope you will like, as well as a glimpse into some of the play aids I made (with help from Buck Surdu) for these in club or convention game play. Lastly, I will share a list of the paints and materials used in the making of this platoon for those interested.
I believe the Bra’sheer were sculpted by Brad Shier – given their names. The three Bra’sheer figures were, like all of these, great sculpts. As I had three, it made sense to assign one per each squad on the B teams. Assembly-wise, I did have a good amount of filing and filling with green stuff to do on these. Also, the process of assembly was a bit difficult as I wanted to get the legs in position such that the chassis were level. I ended up needing to affix one leg at a time and check if they were level.
Eye Candy of painted Retrovian Platoon and Combat Patrol™ Game Aids
Platoon Sergeant, SFC Thelev
2nd Squad Trooper (A Team)
Retrovian Platoon (group shots):
This project took a bit longer than I expected it to – about 3-4 weeks – but it was rewarding. I do hope that you found it interesting and fun to look at – so let me know in the comments section – good or bad. Did you pick up on any Andorian references here?
On to the next challenge!
As an FYI, I have updated the Lost Minis Wiki with shots of these figures. And, to boot, I am entering this platoon in Azazel’s Destino December ’19 Community Painting Challenge – it meets the criteria!
Thanks again for looking – and until next time, all the best to you and yours!
PAINTS, INKS, GLAZES, SHADES, WASHES, PIGMENTS, FLOCKING, GLUES AND MORE USED ON THESE FIGURES:
- Gorilla Glue
- E6000 epoxy
- Small paper clip wire
- 2″ Everbilt steel fender washers ( bases for Garkkon and Bra’sheers)
- 1¼” Everbilt steel fender washers (added to Garkkon and Bra’sheers on 2″ steel fender washers; used as bases for Retrovian Marksmen/Snipers and Sonic Cannon Gunners)
- ½” stainless steel fender washers as fillers in bottom of 2″ steel fender washer holes (Garkkon and Bra’sheers)
- Evergreen polystyrene #9020 card (0.020″ thick) on top of 2″ steel washer holes (Garkkon and Bra’sheers)
- Green stuff (kneadatite)
- 1″ steel fender washers (used as bases for remaining Retrovian infantry figures)
- Apoxie Sculpt
- Army Painter “Battlefield Rocks” flocking (put into Apoxie Sculpt on Bra’sheer bases)
- Army Painter “Black Battlefields” flocking (put into Apoxie Sculpt on Bra’sheer bases)
- Poster tack to mount figures to specimen jars for painting
- Vallejo “Surface Primer – Black” (on exposed steel and polystyrene on bases)
- Vallejo “Surface Primer – White”
- Vallejo “Flow Improver”
- Vallejo “Airbrush Thinner”
- Citadel “Contrast Paint – Talassar Blue”
- Citadel “Contrast Paint – Akhelian Green” (except for Bra’sheers)
- Vallejo Game Air “White Grey”
- Vallejo Mecha Color “Fluorescent Yellow” (Garkkon eyes)
- Vallejo Game Air “Moon Yellow” (Garkkon claws and teeth)
- Citadel “Contrast Paint – Blood Angels Red” (Platoon Commander)
- Citadel “Contrast Paint – Ultramarines Blue” (Platoon Sergeant and Garkkon Controller)
- Citadel “Contrast Paint – Iyanden Yellow” (1st Squad)
- Citadel “Contrast Paint – Gryph-Charger Grey” (2nd Squad)
- Citadel “Contrast Paint – Volupus Pink” (3rd Squad)
- Citadel “Lamenters Yellow” (glaze)
- Vallejo Mecha Color “Sky Blue”
- Citadel “Contrast Paint – Aethermatic Blue” (Garkkon only)
- DecoArt “Festive Red” (Platoon Leader’s helmet)
- Vallejo Mecha Color “Metallic Blue” (Squad Leaders’ helmets)
- Vallejo Mecha Color “Metallic Green” (Team Leaders’ helmets)
- Vallejo Model Air “Black (metallic)” (all others’ helmets and weapons)
- Createx Airbrush Colors “Pearl Blue (0304)” (Bra’sheers’ chassis, legs, and Frostblades)
- Citadel “Drakenhof Nightshade” (shade on Bra’sheers’ legs)
- Citadel “Contrast Paint – Iyanden Yellow”
- Polly Scale “WWII German Armor Green” (2nd Squad)
- P3 “Cygnar Blue Highlight” (Bra’sheer crewmen)
- Citadel “Contrast Paint – Magos Purple” (infantry weapons)
- Army Painter “ Quickshade Blue Tone” (wash on all Retrovian flesh)
- Army Painter “Quickshade Purple Tone” (wash on infantry weapons)
- Tamiya “Flat Aluminum XF-16” (dry brush on Bra’sheer claws)
- Citadel “Nuln Oil” (shade)
- Citadel “Astrogranite” (on bases)
- Citadel “Astrogranite Debris” (on bases)
- Citadel “Druchi Violet” (wash on bases)
- Citadel “Daemonette Hide” (dry brush on bases)
- Citadel “Warpfiend Grey” (dry brush on bases)
- Citadel “Slaneesh Grey” (dry brush on bases)
- Vallejo Mecha Varnish “Matt Varnish”