I have finished my second group of Conquistadores for Feudal PatrolTM. These are a group of six 28mm arquebusiers from Wargames Foundry called “Merciless Adventurers” and they indeed represent the title well.
They are, like my last group, beautiful sculpts by Mark Copplestone, and I got them from Badger Games. I will use them in Feudal PatrolTM games using the supplement I wrote for the Spanish Conquest called Civilizations Collide.
For those of you who are in – or interested in jumping in and trying to win some free miniatures – you can still by joining “Mark’s Conquistador Contest” . Click on the contest link for the rules and to see the prizes described on that blog post – but you must enter by midnight EST (US East Coast time) on January 2nd, 2021. You do this by posting a comment that “you are in” on the contest blog post in the comments section on that blog post (not this one – but I always appreciate feedback on this post as well). There are other simple rules to make it fair for all – but there’s no risk on your part – except that you must become a follower (email or WordPress) of my blog to be eligible to win. And that is free too!
This project brings me up to 12 figures completed out of the 89 – and maybe I night get one more unit done before New Years! Stay tuned…
Here are a few WIP – trying to do more painting and less photos but here are what I have:
I designated these arquebus-armed Conquistadores as CAB7 to CAB12. I did change my color choices as I went along, and used a number of glazes, washes, and even contrast paints as base paints and/or glazes. Check them out below, and click on any of the images for a larger view!
I tried to paint some darker stripes on the hose and trousers here. I love the facial expressions on this group.
I went with lighter blue and red (vermilion) color scheme on the stripes here – and I do like it. This guy has a great glare under that hat.
I went with black and red (vermilion) color scheme on the stripes here – and I think it complemented his intense face.
I went a bit simpler on the lower body here so as to let the shoulder pads stick out more. This guy also has a great glare under that hat.
I wanted this figure’s leather armor to be a but lighter – and I achieved this a bit unusually. I base coated the armor with Vallejo Model Air “Light”, and then glazed with the Citadel contrast paint “Plague Bearer Flesh”, followed by a highlight with “Light”. I think it came out the way I wanted – and not too greenish – it should be all right for the tabletop. He has a shield, but that will only help if he is in melee, which as an arquebusier, I’m sure he’d rather avoid.
I also experimented a bit with this one. I saw some images of conquistadores with some yellowish and red colors on their lower bodies. I made the choices you see below. I like the color contrast with the blue blouse – but feel free to let me know your thoughts in the comments section on how I painted him or any of the others.
Thanks for looking – only 77 more figures to go – remember to enter the contest if you have not yet done so – and let me know what you think of these good bad or otherwise. Stay safe!
Miscellaneous details and references for those interested in that sort of thing:
Posts on games, units, and other projects for my 16th Century Spanish Conquest supplement for Feudal Patrol™ – “Civilizations Collide”
- Merciless Adventurers (this post) – Wargames Foundry #SB014 (6 Conquistadores with arquebuses)
- Audacious Arquebusiers! – Wargames Foundry #SB012 (6 Conquistadores with arquebuses)
- Mark’s Conquistador Contest – for my loyal blog followers!
- Montezuma and Chieftains – Wargames Foundry #AZ011 for Feudal Patrol – 6 Aztec figures (Montezuma, 4 Chieftains, 1 Warrior Priest)
- Aztec Shock Troops – Cuachic Warriors aka The Shorn Ones – 8 Aztec cuachicqueh warriors
- Tloxtoxl and the Priests of the Great Temple, Wargames Foundry AZ021 – 2 warrior priests, 1 priestess, 1 priest, 1 leader, and 1 signaler
- Civilizations Collide – The Wars of the Aztecs, the Inca, the Maya, and the Conquistadores is now available as a FREE Download for Feudal Patrol™ – plus a Feudal Patrol™ review!
- 18 Aztec Novice Warriors for Feudal Patrol Walk into a Bar – 18 Novice Warriors
- Aztec Warrior Priests (painted as Tlaxcalans), Ral Partha 42-302, circa 1988 (this post) – 6 figures – 6 Tlaxcalan Warrior Priests
- Tlaxcalan Novices, Elite Warriors, and Command Group – 18 figures – 8 Novice Tlaxcalan Warriors, 8 Elite Tlaxcalan Warriors, 1 Tlaxcalan Captain, 1 Tlaxcalan Conch Blower
- Tlaxcalan Archers – 8 Veteran Tlaxcalan Archers
- Aztec Game for Feudal Patrol across thousands of miles – via Zoom!
- Aztec Snake Woman and Drummer – 1 Aztec General, 1 Aztec Drummer
- A June and July Jaguar Warrior Frenzy (plus some Aztec Veterans and a Warrior Priest to Boot) – 3 Aztec Veteran Warriors, 17 Jaguar Warriors, 1 Aztec Warrior Priest
- Doubling Down – Aztec Veteran Warriors – 24 Aztec Veteran Warriors
- Aztec Arrow Knights, Ral Partha circa 1988 – 6 Aztec Arrow Knights
- Aztec Eagle Warriors from Tin Soldier UK – 6 Aztec Eagle Knights
- Aztec Novice Warriors and a few Frinx – 12 Novice Warriors
Total figures completed to date for this project: 153 figures: 109 Aztecs, 32 Tlaxcalans, 12 Spanish Conquistadores
PAINTS, INKS, GLAZES, SHADES, WASHES, PIGMENTS, FLOCKING, GLUES AND MORE THAT I USED ON THESE CONQUISTADOR FIGURES:
- Gorilla Glue
- 1/8″ x 1″ Everbilt Fender Washers
- Poster tack
- Vallejo “Surface Primer – White Primer”
- Vallejo “Flow Improver”
- Vallejo “Airbrush Thinner”
- Testors “Universal Acrylic Thinner”
- Citadel “Nuln Oil” (wash)
- Vallejo Game Air “Black”
- Citadel “Runefang Steel”
- Citadel “Contrast Paint – Cygor Brown”
- Army Painter “Tanned Flesh”
- Citadel “Ironbreaker”
- Citadel “Contrast Paint – Aggaros Dunes”
- Citadel “Contrast Paint – Black Templar”
- Citadel “Contrast Paint – Snakebite Leather”
- Vallejo Model Color “Vermilion”
- Citadel “Contrast Paint – Skeleton Horde”
- Citadel “Contrast Paint – Gulliman Flesh”
- Vallejo Model Air “Weiss” (off-white)
- Vallejo Model Air “Gun Metal”
- Citadel “Contrast Paint – Space Wolves Grey”
- Citadel “Contrast Paint – Gore-Grunta Fur”
- Vallejo Model Air “Bright Brass”
- Citadel “Contrast Paint – Militarum Green”
- Deka Lack “Dunkel Blau”
- Citadel “Mechanicus Grey”
- P3 “Cygnar Blue Highlight”
- Battlefront “Chocolate Brown”
- Citadel “Drakenhof Nightshade” (wash)
- Vallejo Model Air “Light”
- Citadel “Contrast Paint – Akhelian Green”
- Citadel “Contrast Paint – Creed Camo”
- Vallejo Game Air “Bronze Fleshtone”
- Vallejo Mecha Color “Electric Blue”
- Citadel “Nuln Oil GLOSS” (wash)
- Citadel “Contrast Paint – Volupus Pink”
- Secret Weapon Washes “Yellow Snow” (wash)
- Citadel “Contrast Paint – Plaguebearer Flesh”
- Army Painter “Red Tone”
- Citadel “Lamenters Yellow” (glaze)
- Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” (shade)
- Citadel “Coelia Greenshade” (wash)
- Citadel “Contrast Paint – Contrast Medium”
- Citadel “Contrast Paint – Apothecary White”
- Vallejo Game Color “Bronze Fleshtone”
- Vallejo Model Color “Sunny Skin Tone”
- Army Painter “Flesh Wash” (wash)
- Citadel “Seraphim Sepia” (wash)
- Battlefront “Flat Earth”
- Vallejo “Gloss Varnish”
- Elmer’s PVA Glue
- Army Painter “Brown Battlefields” (flocking)
- Vallejo “Dark Yellow Ochre” (pigment)
- Vallejo “Burnt Umber” (pigment)
- Citadel “Steel Legion Drab”
- Citadel “Tallarn Sand”
- Citadel “Karak Stone”
- Americana “Desert Sand”
- Vallejo Mecha Varnish “Matt Varnish”
- Army Painter “Grass Green” (flocking)