Our Garage+ Project – Week 15 and 16 Update

Yes indeed folks, I am yet again combining a couple weeks into a single post. This update will cover Weeks 15 & 16 – which comprises October 24th to November 6th. The main reasons are the same – slow progress due to weather and shortages that have been the bane of the projects’ ability to progress.

It’s been very wet, cold, and windy, followed by now heavy morning frost. Anyone in Massachusetts knows that this month can be very variable indeed. I guess we’re lucky no accumulating snow has happened yet (but we have seen the first few flakes flying).

The work here still in these two weeks is focused on the patio – but I thought that first I’d share a picture of the deck at night with the solar caps all lit – my neighbor claims aircraft will be coming in to land!

The deck at night – I had a tough time getting a photo but you get the idea.

One of the wind-driven rain storms came in from the normal front of the house and hit from the back – where all the trees are. It was a mess, but I cleaned up early before Evandro’s guys came to pull off the forms.

Leaves everywhere – and more to come.
Pulling the fire pit wall forms.

Then, they added a screed on the walls and let that set.

At the end of the day on October 28th, this was where we were with long shadows hitting the yard.

End of the day – and note I did get the leaves up.

No work continued until November 1st. And then it moved onto coloring the walls with releasing agent (a first step anyways) and digging (by hand) the gas line.

Gas line being dug and walls being colored.
Digging the gas line.

Meanwhile, Evandro began his color applications and shaping.

Evandro working on the back wall.
After shaping it, he applied a releasing agent.
The releasing agent.

He did the same with the fire pit wall.

Evandro at work.
Here you see him literally throwing the dusty agent on the wall.

After this, the weather was lousy the rest of the week. And then it got cold before it got rainy again.

Yes, that is frost everywhere – the temperature was down in the 20’s.

So, not much to show for two weeks. The good news is that this week will hopefully start going a bit gangbusters – there were window and door deliveries, gas line materials are here, and Evandro should finish up soon outside the garage. Stay tuned and I hope that there is more to share at week’s end.

And, for you hobbyists followers out there, I should have a few more posts to share on some small projects I have done in preparation for gaming this weekend with friends in Maryland and at Historicon. There have been some changes in plans – I’ll share soon.

Our Garage+ Project – Week 14 Update

The work shifted this week (October 17-23) to the patio and fire pit – and that meant Evandro and his crew were front and center as Ready Installs awaits window and door deliveries – all delayed by COVID.

We had decided that we needed to upgrade our plan to include paving stone patios, walkways, a wall, and a gas fire pit. This post will focus primarily on those aspects. Evandro had previously roughly marked out where these new parts would go and link in with the new garage and the new house deck.

On Monday, Evandro verified his lines and excavation began.

Monday progress.

There was q lot of digging – and please note that this was done all by hand – no equipment other than hand tools.

Tuesday’s progress at seen at dawn on Wednesday.

On Wednesday, it rained. Thursday things picked up again. Subbase compaction began – some by hand and some by machine depending on the leach field presence underneath. Then crushed stone started being brought in and spread.

End of Thursday progress.

Friday saw a continuation of Thursday’s efforts.

Friday work.

However, it became obvious that Evandro wanted to catch up for Wednesday, so work proceeded on Saturday as well. The work was focused on building concrete forms for the back wall and the fire pit, and lastly placement of hand-mixed concrete. Evandro had an amazing drone that he used to take some photos and videos that will eventually show his work start to finish – and I hope to share a link for that when its available. The drone was able to self-stabilize in the wind and could reach heights of 500 feet!

Evandro and his drone ( you can see it just above the midpoint of the two reddish bird windmills).

The back wall was formed and placed.

The fire pit wall was started.

The crew worked past sunset on Saturday, and got good progress – though I had to wait until Sunday to have enough light to take a picture.

Week’s progress as seen at dawn on Sunday the 24th.

As I write this in week 15, it has been rainy and this is as far as we have gotten progress-wise. However, I bet Evandro hits the ground running when it dries up.

I hope this was enjoyable and thanks for taking a look. I may even do a hobby post shortly!