I apologize to my readers as its been a while since I have blogged, and as you will see I will be somewhat more active this week as I have completed some projects and now have a few things to actually write about! I expect that I will write three blog entries this week about projects that I have completed.
This is my first entry and concerns a RAFM Bard sculpted by Steven Koo in 1992 as part of the Women of the Ninth Meridian line. Here is a link to the 1994 catalog from DnD Lead website that shows that there were three in each set. The circled figure is the subject of this blog. The figure had pointed ears, so obviously she is an elf.
Chris Smedile’s birthday was coming up, so I offered him the chance to go through my assorted unpainted miniatures and pick a couple of figures that he would like me to paint for him. He picked two – this Bard, and a Reaper Chronoscope Bones figure (which you can read about here). It is 25mm in scale, cast in white metal (possibly lead-free), and had great detail.
I looked at the weather forecast as I wanted to finish this project in time to properly use spray varnish outside – and I need close to 70° F and low humidity for best effect. I wanted her to have a slight “Little Red Riding Hood” look.
Beginning the base coat process, I started with the flesh, and used P3 “Ryn Flesh”. I painted her flute with Tamiya “Chrome Silver”. Using a pine tipped brush, I painted her eyes with Citadel “Ceramite White” and Reaper MSP “Blue Liner”. Moving on to her hair, I decided to go with blond. For that, P3 “Sulphuric Yellow” was my choice. For her tunic and her earrings, I went with a paint I purchased in West Germany in 1987, Deka Lack “Dunkelblau” (dark blue). She had a thin sword, and the scabbard I painted with Vallejo “Gun Metal”.
Moving on to her cape, I got another oldie but goodie paint from 1984. This was Polly-S “Demon Deep Red”, which ironically is older than Chris is!! I also used that color to base her hair ribbon. For her breeches, I based with Armory “Prussian Blue”. For the trim and cuffs on her tunic, I used another Deka Lack paint, “Weiss” (white). She had a canteen and a pouch on her belt. These I painted respectively with Vallejo “US Dark Green” and Armory “Brick Red”. For her leatherwork and straps, I decided on P3 “Bootstrap Leather”. I needed to finish her metallics, and so I painted her brooch and sword pommel with Vallejo “Silver”, and her belt buckle and scabbard tip with Vallejo “Bright Brass”. She has a jewel in her brooch, which I painted with Citadel “Soulstone Blue”. For her base, I used Americana “Hauser Light Green” so as to make later base applications better.
I then moved on to highlighting and shading the figure. For her hair, I used successive washes, first with P3 “Sunshine Yellow” and then with Citadel “Reikland Fleshshade”. I then used a wash on the tunic with Citadel “Agrax Earthshade”. I then lightly washed her hands with “Reikland Fleshshade”. To highlight her facial features, I mixed Polly-S “Elf Flesh” with P3 “Ryn Flesh” and applied it to her cheeks, nose, hand and fingers.
For her breeches, I shaded with “Agrax Earthshade”, followed by highlighting with a mix of “Weiss” and “Prussian Blue”. Lastly, I moved on to her cape and hair ribbon. Here, I darkened the cape with “Agrax Earthshade”, then highlighted it with Americana “Santa Red”. I also painted her hair ribbon with “Santa Red”.
To finish the base, I applied Army Painter “Moss Green” flocking with white glue. Then the figure got two coats of Testors spray “Dullcoat”, allowing for sufficient drying time between coats. To finish her, I added a yellow flower tuft from Army Painter “Meadow Flowers”.
Overall, I was pleased with the work I did on the figure. It was a nice break from my very large Star Duck project.
Chris got it on his birthday, and he loved it! I am looking forward to hearing of her exploits!