I acquired another group of Archive figures from their long-defunct “Star Rovers” line. One of them was 2206, “Armando Garcia, Texican Space Ranger”. Armando had a jet pack and a blaster or laser rifle (and a huge sombrero). He also had a partner, Travis B. Crokit, another Texican Space Ranger. On page 5.03 of the Star Rovers Module 1 game rules, there is a nice drawing of both of them and some other characters.
At the time of the mold making for Armando, I did not yet have Travis, but I do now. He is quite cool as well, and wears goggles – looking like Doc Brown from Back to the Future! He will eventually be the subject of one of my molding projects as well.
As for Armando, I made a two-piece mold from Castaldo Quick Sil. I continued to experiment with different configurations for my pouring aperture – this time with pencils and golf tees. I also tried to see if I could add something to the mold that would help me identify it better as after graphite powder is applied its pretty hard to tell sometimes. In this case – I added “MEX”.
The mold design worked well enough. I was able to cast without hardly any failures, which made me happy. I again used 67% tin and 33% lead at 565° F.
I cast 24, and again sent 12 off to Buck Surdu for his future sci-fi gaming projects. Once I get Travis done, I may add some other retro-looking sci-fi weapons to the Rangers. Buck just sent me a nice sprue of some that I will look to mold for that purpose (thanks Buck). After seeing what he did with the Star Ducks (adding sci-fi weapons), I am intrigued to try this as well.
A couple of figures that I saw on eBay caught my eye. They were retro-looking astronauts/cosmonauts that had no provenance. I could not tell that they were probably 54mm from the photo, but I did believe that they would be great for future sci-fi games. They also looked fun to cast!
Originally these were Archive 2103, “Macron and the Mind”.
I do not have the brain figure, but I did have two Macrons. I decided to mold them, thinking they could be “Space Giants”.
They were both in good shape. I made a two-piece mold with Quick-Sil from Castaldo with one of the Macrons. I made this mold rather tall to accommodate a large plug that would give the figures better detail. I also experimented with using golf tees (that had “Merry Christmas Love Lynn” on them and an old pharma pen top for my mold opening. I also added toothpicks for venting.
The mold desighn worked fine, and I was able to cast 24 satisfactory examples with a mix of 67% tin and 33% lead at 565° F. The mold did not need much tapping at all which was great. They did use up a lot of metal though relative to smaller figures, as one would expect.
I sent off half to Buck Surdu, and I kept the rest. I am looking forward to getting them painted soon!